05 June 2014

DIY NAIL AND STRING LETTERING





A quick tutorial to a DIY that can a little bit of time and patience to complete, but once done you'll be very please with the results. I've seen these sorts of designs circulating Pinterest a lot, so thought I'd give it a go myself. You don't just have to do letters you can do anything from quotes to maps of your favourite places.

You'll need:
- String/Cotton - I chose three shades of blue to create an ombre effect but you can go for whatever colours or effect you want to go for.
- Nails (I got mine off eBay)
- Design
- A4 Cork board (again I got mine from eBay)

1. Place your design on the cork board and place the nails with even spacing around the whole of the design.
2. Once you've outlined the entire design you can now remove the paper template. (I'd  really recommend removing the paper before placing the string onto the design, as I had a lot of trouble removing it once I'd completely covered it all!)
3. Take your darkest thread, and starting on one of the nails nearest the top, tie a knot to secure it. Once you've done that you can then start randomly weaving it all around the nails in anyway you like. When you get to the end of your piece of string, simply knot it off and begin again.
4. Repeat step 3 with your second colour, and then your third, until the design is completely finished.
5. Once you've completely covered the whole of the nails, that it's the design is finished!

Let me know what you think of this DIY by leaving a comment of tweeting me @afloralcrown!