06 August 2014

MINI PANCAKE "CAKES" #GBBO





Welcome to the Great Blogger Bake Off. In honor of the Great British Bake Off (by far one of the best shows ever) returning to TV tonight, I along with a heap (ed tablespoon if you will) of baking fanatic bloggers, have joined together for our own little mini series.
No scary technical challenges here, although some creation from other blogs could well pass for signature bakes. This is just a bunch of sweet toothed bloggers eager to share their baking recipes. Each Tuesday the theme is revealed and then Wednesday we post them and gaze upon all the glorious other bakes people have made.

On your marks...get set...BAKE!

This weeks theme was cakes. Now, I have to put my hands up on this one and say I may have slightly bent the theme for this week. It's not strictly a cake cake but I wanted to make something that meant I could have cake for breakfast. Because let's face the facts here, who wouldn't want cake for breakfast?! This recipe is based around a recipe I've been wanting to try for a long time now from Sally's Baking Addiction. I altered it slightly to fit what I had in the cupboard and removed the sugar to cut out the added sugar. So below in my altered version but definitely check out Sally's full version to get the perfect recipe!

So here they are all the ingredients you'll need for my mini pancake cake stacks and how I made them.

- 84g flour (I used gluten free but you can always use regular
- 4 tbsp of Greek Yogurt
- 4 tbsp of almond milk (I used 3 unsweetened & 1 chocolate)
- Half a large banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: chocolate chips, cacao nibs, crushed nuts, berries

Sift the flour into a bowl and then add all the other dry ingredients - baking powder, salt together in one bowl. In another bowl mash the banana thoroughly. Add the white of one egg, then the vanilla extract, Greek yogurt and mix gently. Place the wet ingredients in with the dry bowl and use a spatula to gently fold this mixture. Then add the almond milk, again folding in gently.

Put a little oil in a pan and place it on a medium heat. Use a teaspoon amount for eat mini pancake. Cook slowly on one side until bubbles start to appear on the service. Flip and once cooked, repeat until you get your desired amount (I used four per stack).
To decorate (and give it that authentic looking drizzling icing topping) I've just placed some more of the yogurt on top and added some heated up frozen strawberries mixed with a little honey to great a delicious berry dressing.

And there we go! My mini pancake "cakes". I know this wasn't quite a showstopper but if you do want to see some amazing bakes from other bloggers over the coming weeks make sure to check out these links:
- GreatBloggerBakeOff on Facebook
- #GreatBloggerBakeOff on Twitter
and the creators of this brilliant mini series
- Laura from I Love Crafty
- Shannon from Mumma Told Me So
- Meg from Briar Rose

Make sure to check out all the links and let me know what you would bake @afloralcrown on Twitter. And obviously check out Great British Bake Off starting tonight on BBC1 to see how to make cakes that are a tad more impressive than mine!