21 December 2014

INSPIRATION AND MOTIVATION


A challenge isn't just the physical battle your body goes through, but the mental battle you face as well.

With a number of events and challenges coming up for me in 2015 I've been looking for sources of motivation and inspiration that'll help push me in the right direction. I would say I'm pretty good at motivating myself 8 times out of 10, but there are a number of occasions when I can feel slightly down or lackluster about working out. When you've got big challenges coming up and sometimes things aren't going the way you planned, it can be incredibly hard to keep going and not lose that motivation you had when you started. I've already touched on how to keep training and exercising through the winter, but the mental battle you face to keep going is a whole other story.

Magazines and books
Magazines and books can be a huge source of information and can offer up inspiring stories from both athletes and "ordinary people".
I've recently finished reading Swim Bike Run by Alistair and Jonathon Brownlee. I really enjoyed this book and I'm planning on rereading it again soon. It switches between the two brothers telling their story of how they developed over the years and how their journey led up to them competing in the Summer Olympics in London 2012. I found it really interesting reading about the two different styles of training the brothers have and the changes in their relationships that happened as they dominated the World triathlon scene. As well as the brothers story it also includes tips on all three disciplines and a coaches workouts. I highly recommend this book if you're interested in triathlons or in learning about the Brownlee brothers journey to becoming World and Olympic Champions. Whilst reading this book I just wanted to get on bike and go for a ride. It really made me look at my training and WANT to go for it. In times of doubt I think I'll pick up this book and read the struggles they faced, to help me get through any tough times I may have.

As well as the Brownlee brother's book I've also been reading a number of magazines. Magazines offer some great training tips, stories and pages of fantastic content. They're also great for finding your next race to enter. Training for a specific race can be a huge motivating factor and so it's incredibly useful to have somewhere that details upcoming events. They're filled with articles on a whole range of topics and sports specific magazines are a great place to learn more about sports you're specifically interested in. I find the tips and workouts really useful for both trying out at the gym, outside and mixing up what I do in my current routine. They also offer a host of recipes to try out which are not only great to try out but also offer a bunch of inspiration to be more creative and experimental in the kitchen.

Blogs and the online community
The amount of blogs that are online now is incredible. There are thousands and thousands of pages filled with personal stories, tips, tricks and motivation available - all at the click of a button. Reading another persons journey to a big event can be hugely motivating. Reading about any troubles they've had and how they've overcome them can really push you to keep going. I follow a number of fitness bloggers (I've posted about some of my favourites here and here) but a couple I regularly check back on include Sophie, Charlie and Leah. I love reading all about a persons journey from having that initial idea to enter an event, all the way through the completion and their thoughts and feelings when they've accomplished it. Blogs and videos are a great way to live vicariously through others and it gives you an opportunity to discover a whole variety of events and challenges across the globe. The community, especially on Twitter, is hugely inspiring, supporting and a pretty special place. You can share your journey and people can interact with you sharing ideas, workouts and giving you that extra push.

So that's just a little bit about where the places I'm looking for inspiration and motivation at the moment. Where do you get your inspiration from and how do you stay motivated? Let me know @afloralcrown.

I'm posting everyday as part of my 24 days of Christmas Fitness. Make sure to check back each day for a new post all the way up until Christmas Day !