28 December 2014

PRE - NEW YEAR'S FITNESS KICKSTART


When our glasses are empty and stomachs are full, Christmas time quickly comes and goes. We start looking towards the New Year with many people making resolutions to kick start their fitness routines again or begin a new exercise regime. I've got a big event next year and although it's still the celebratory period before we welcome in the 1st of January, I can't help but carry on exercising. I want to head into the New Year feeling great, feeling prepared, and ready to throw myself into full training. On Christmas Day I definitely treated myself and although I felt slightly guilty in parts (I know I shouldn't really have) I made that an extra special treat day. I gave myself that time to indulge but I still went out for a 7 mile run in the morning. That treat day put me in such great frame of mind to really knuckle down and focus on my training and also to try and improve my diet a bit more. I had an awesome sense of motivation and inspiration to really work myself next year and make my goals happen.

For the space between now and the 31st I'm not having detox, ready for it all to happen again on New Year's Day, I'm having a mini fitness warm up. Mentally and physically gearing myself up for the New Year. On Boxing Day I ran two miles down to the gym, did a short weights session and felt great getting back in the gym again. Saturday was also followed a gym session  where I had a lot of fun workout with kettlebells. Today is swim day and I'm excited to get back in the pool after Christmas.

Making sure that I am drinking enough water each day is something that I am always failing at. Sometimes I will go without drinking for a whole day which I know is 100% not good for me. It's something I try and get into but I end up doing it for a couple of days before reverting back to not drinking much. I am determined now to hydrate and actually get enough water into my system this coming year. So far I'm not doing particularly great at this so from Monday I'm really going to make it my goal.

In terms of eating? There is going to be a fair bit of temptation from all the food left over in the fridge. I've got lots of ideas written down and a huge shopping list of some good wholesome foods to try making (and then eat), but a Christmas treat or two may still come into the equation. I'm hoping to get some more recipes posted on here in the coming months of recipes that I've tried out.

When the clock hits midnight on the 31st December, I never really have many feelings towards heading into a brand new year, it tends to feel like a normal day to me. This time however I feel a bit different heading towards that stroke of the clock. I'm very excited to see what 2015 brings. With events, my 21st birthday, and my big challenge - I hope it's going to be a great year!

What are your New Year's fitness plans or do you prefer not to have make any? Let me know @afloralcrown. Are you planning to start your fitness again now or waiting until the 1st to give yourself a brand new start?